Monday, August 13, 2007

Capture & Communicate Your Creative Vision - OPAW 2007


It is the end of the day, and I want to reflect on the remarkable experience of my first photography workshop, co-facilitated with Judy Burns. Although I regularly facilitate meetings and teach people in my consulting role, it has been a long time since I found myself at the front of a classroom of any kind. What a remarkable experience to help people better understand and use an art form they are passionate about to communicate their vision of the world!

We asked our fifteen workshop participants to produce a body of work with a common theme - to communicate a sense of place. That "place" could be literal, or it could be of their own creation. We took them down to Kelowna's City Park, and let them loose on the waterfront. After one evening shooting session, Judy and I each showed the results of our own effort at this assignment. The two collections of images presented two entirely different ways of seeing and engaging with the space of the park. We returned to City Park early the next morning for a second session, followed by a furious editing session where everyone sorted through their images and assembled their presentations.

When it came time to see everyone's images, it was absolutely thrilling. Without exception, our "students" took the assignment to heart. They tried new techniques, wrangled with new equipment, and most importantly, opened themselves to feedback from the group.

Having attended several successful photography workshops for my own development, I know how hard every one of these lovely people worked. The energy that we put in as instructors was rewarded with a similar gift in kind. After this experience, I am motivated and inspired to get out and create for the love of my craft.

Thanks to all who participated for your detailed and constructive feedback both during and after the course.

(Note: for anyone who is reading this and is interested in hearing about future workshops, please visit the workshop page at www.lauratucker.com and fill out the online form.)

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I suddenly realized it had been several weeks since checking out your blog. I just love what you're doing and frequently show your work (online or on the walls of my office) to colleagues and friends. Keep up the good work L-Tu. xo R-He