Sunday, August 05, 2007

Afternoon at Hardy Falls


I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to spend an afternoon with my friend Melanie. Photography is one of her passions, too, so it was great to go and spend a chunk of time with someone who doesn't mind slowing down to spend the time necessary to capture some quality images. Hardy Falls is in Peachland. We hiked in from Mel's place, but I understand there is a relatively easy way to access the falls off Highway 97. (What fun would that be?!?:)) With my new camera and old, heavy tripod strapped to my back, we climbed down the rock wall adjacent to the waterfall. I'll say no more about that experience except to say that I am no mountain goat, and a lighter tripod is now at the top of my shopping list!


Anyways, I loved the waterfall - and it's so close to home! There were plenty of places to perch on a rock with the tripod and take these long exposure images. It had been a while since I've photographed moving water. I love the way the water paints its path on the image, creating a simultaneous sense of movement and serenity. The trick to is to be very careful about exposure - you want the water to be white, but not so much that detail is lost in the highlights.


Although this next image looks like it might be an underwater shot, it isn't! These plants were growing on the rock wall, just above eye level. I've used one of my favourite techniques here. When the subject matter is right, a "dreamscape" can be created using one sharp image superimposed by the same composition, deliberately blurred to create the painterly, or dream-like effect.


Here's a picture of Mel, hard at work creating her own images! Whatever it takes to get the shot :)

A note to follow up on last week's entry: the talk at Mosaic went very well. Next up is the Okanagan Photographic Arts Workshop next weekend at the UBC Okanagan campus. We'll be taking our workshop participants to an undisclosed location to unleash their creativity. Can't wait!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the falls. So you like the new camera?....When does your new tripod arrive.....

- B