Monday, April 16, 2007

Harbour Reflections


I am standing on the dock at Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria. It's a beautiful spring day; warm when the sun shines, brisk when the breeze moves. People are walking around, looking at the curious houseboat community. The committee for renewing the wharf has a display of their future plans that seem to generate a positive response. I take out my camera, anxious to explore this place. After a few warm-up shots of my surroundings, I start to see the beauty of the details.


The reflections create an abstract, painterly image. When there is no reflection, as in the image below, it is clear that there is much more going on beneath the surface of the water - more than I had anticipated...


Meet Sammy the Seal! He hangs out at Fisherman's Wharf, waiting for people to feed him fish they can buy right on the dock. Sammy is a pretty well-fed seal. He had a younger companion who had to work a lot harder for food. Needless to say, the young seal was a lot slimmer.



No comments: