Sunday, February 18, 2007

Winter's Gentle Retreat


These pictures were taken today from the beach in Peachland, located just south of Kelowna. Winter doesn't hit the Okanagan Valley all at once; nor does it leave abruptly. When it arrives, winter is heralded by the descent of snow down the mountains. You can see it coming before the snow hits the ground in Kelowna. This year, we had a fair bit of snow and ice. My first two winters living here have been a bit of a challenge - there is little sun between the months of November and March. As you can see, the snow is now receding up the mountains again. This brings joy and energy, for at lake level, Kelowna is a place for sunshine and beaches. I have yet to embrace skiing and hit the hills at Big White, which means I haven't spent much time above the clouds again this year. That I am reserving for next year, when I can invest the time and enjoy it fully. The last couple of days have been a sunny exception and already I can feel a difference in my bones and a lift in my spirit. It's really all about energy, isn't it?


No comments: