Monday, January 08, 2007

Winter Wonderland



Happy New Year! Today is my first day back from Christmas vacation and what a wonderful break it was. I had a chance to get out of town over New Years and the south Okanagan was beautiful. It is rare for Osoyoos, Canada's desert to have snow, but this is what we saw as we ascended on Highway 3, headed to the Kootenays. It is difficult not to think of climate change when a desert region has snow and my Toronto friends and family have yet to wear boots or clear off the car (or so they tell me). Nonetheless, the light dusting of snow over Osoyoos is a beautiful sight.
What I like the most about these images is the way the snow provides a delicate outline to the roads, the vineyards and the mountains. In the summer, the colour palate is full of yellow and green - in striking contrast to the muted details here. I will definitely be returning to photograph this vista throughout the year.

No comments: