Saturday, October 28, 2006

Is it time to rake yet?


For most of my life, autumn has been my favourite time of year. As a former native of Toronto, the onset of cooler weather meant watching the landscape change as if a giant paintbrush had descended from the sky and celebrating as the summer's humidity lifted and the crisp, cool air re-energized the city.

Here in the Okanagan Valley, the change is less dramatic, but I think it's the prettiest time of year. Although the colours are muted, the change in the light from the harsh, high sun of the summer to the low hanging light in the south shows off the landscape beautifully.

The image of the tree above was taken from my backyard. This year, the leaves seem to want to stay up in the trees longer than I remember last year. Mind you, I spent a good part of last October in New Brunswick. I really don't remember the timing of last year's annual descent. I'm planning to take advantage and get out there over the weekend to add to my collection of images.

Since moving here, I have developed a fascination with olive trees, pictured below. I first noticed them last year and they were unfamiliar to me. I love the way they turn silver in the fall and was pleased with how the elegance of this pair of trees is translated by the camera.

Ironically, I went to visit my family in Ottawa last May, and what did I notice growing on the side of the highway but dozens of olive trees....or something that looked like them!

Last, but not least, here's a peek at an orchard in Summerland, putting on its display of autumn finery. I don't think the colours at the orchards and vineyards have hit their peak further to the south, so I think that's the direction I'll be taking this weekend. Wish me good shooting :)

No comments: