Sunday, June 07, 2009

Crater Lake

I often catch myself wondering how different geographic and geologic formations are made. On this trip I have driven through desert, ancient flood planes and have marveled at the reach of the Ponderosa Pine. I had seen pictures of Crater Lake, but I was unprepared for how mind-blowing Crater Lake would be!

The crater was created by a volcanic eruption over ten times the size of Mount St Helen billions of years ago. The smaller volcano in the middle of the lake followed. Talk about a "power spot"! Dizzy with altitude and surprised by my brief return to winter, I was racing with storm clouds behind me to create these images.

Note to self: revisit in August when the trails are sure to be open and open skies will create the glacier teal waters!

No comments: