Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Something Unexpected


There are so many things about this image taken along Scenic Byway 12 that are unexpected that I just had to get online and post it. First, the moment itself was an unexpected delight. We were driving from Capitol Reef National Park en route to Zion, when everything came together all at once. It was one of those highway corners that no doubt causes people to exclaim with joy any time of day. What we were given was a spectacular sunrise. It was exhilarating, working with the light and against time, as this magic light is fleeting.

The experience of reviewing my images that night was significantly less exhilarating. How was it possible to kill one of the most spectacular sunrises I had ever witnessed? Well, that was then and this is now. I'm reviewing my images to select a "Top 20" to show before a presentation tonight. This imaged beckoned to me, asking for some attention. After a few tweaks and a crop, it now represents that morning's glorious display. It's amazing what a little time can do with both the memory of an event and the objectivity of my eye.


1 comment:

Bob Palin said...

Very nice. I took a similar picture there last week, this blog doesn't let me put a picture in a comment but it's near the bottom of my story about Barker Reservoirs

Utah 12 is a great road isn't it?

Bob Palin
Torrey, Utah