Sunday, September 02, 2007

Art Walk 2007


Labour Day Weekend - who can believe it! I can attest to the fact that this is a chorus heard across the nation this weekend as students (and teachers) prepare for the new school year and family holidays draw to a close. Maybe it is because I used to be a teacher that September 1st functions like a New Year's Day for me. Time to get back to work, so to speak - I worked pretty hard this summer. One of the luxuries of being single is being able to plan vacation time outside peak season. And who wants to go anywhere when you live in the Okanagan Valley, anyways? I'm looking forward to a trip to Utah's National Parks later this autumn - ten glorious days of shooting red rock canyons with my photographer friend, Beth, the most Canadian American you could ever hope to have as a friend. (Hi Beth!)

One of the events I have been looking forward to this year is Art Walk in Lake Country, just north of Kelowna. I'll be exhibiting eight prints for show and sale next weekend. Art Walk is an annual arts festival featuring artists from the Okanagan Valley. I'm looking forward to it. Last year I checked it out and was pleasantly surprised. I hope I don't spend more money than I make!

Before I head back out with my camera, I'll say a word or two about the image above. This image of Okanagan Lake was taken at the end of an easy hike at the base of Knox Mountain near Paul's Tomb, at the beach. Lately I have been going up and over Knox Mountain without a camera, but this image is a good reminder of a great location close to home. Maybe next time I'll forego the exercise in favour of a photo opportunity. But then again, didn't I just say that September 1st is my New Years??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Utah will bring its photographic splendors, but there is something to be said about photographing close to home. It gives you the opportunity to be much more intimate with your surroundings. It gives you the opportunity to inject the you into your photographs. Hope the Artwalk went well. - the wanna be Canadian Beth