Sunday, July 22, 2007

Top of Terrace Mountain


At 1950 meters (6400 feet), Terrace Mountain is the highest peak in the Kelowna and Vernon area. The lookout trail is accessible by taking Bear Creek Forest Service Road and then Esperon Forest Service Road on the west side of Okanagan Lake. I wouldn't attempt it unless on a quad or a heavy duty 4x4. This ascent was a definite highlight of a recent day trip. Much to my surprise, the "look-out" is the peak of the mountain. The road goes right to the top! From there, you are rewarded with a 360 degree view of Vernon to the north-east (the first image), Winfield and Kelowna to the south-east.


To the north is Short's Canyon, pictured above. Missing from my digital images are the peaks of the Coast Mountains to the west. There was a lot of good stuff, so many of my images are on slide film. I still love to treat myself to Velvia once in a while. I will post some once I get them scanned.



As you can see, the weather was unsettled that day. This thunderstorm moved north along Okanagan lake, passing us by up top of the mountain. I was reminded again of a trip to Arizona when my friends and I were caught in a canyon during a thunderstorm. This was far less traumatic, as there was no lightning, and the storm passed by at a safe distance.


This final image is of the Duo Via lakes, which stood out like a couple of sapphires from my vantage point. If you look closely, you can see the beginning of pine beetle kill at the closest edge of the smaller lake. No doubt this landscape will be dramatically altered before too much time passes. After a day like this, I am left breathless at the sight of beautiful landscape, as always. However, it is becoming difficult to escape a sense of dread as the race against the pine beetle continues - it's like the tortoise trying to catch up to the hare.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

An old post, but Big White is much higher than 1950 meters, more like 2200 meters.